Corset 101: Goldilocks and the Three Corsets

This corset is too big….this corset is too small

But this corset fits just right!

Black-cotton-411-corsetHello OC Blog Readers! We have a veritable sizing fleet at your disposal: videos, blogs, sizing experts on chat and email. But many of our customers fall in a gray area of sizing-or just have different tolerances or different uses for their corset. My measurements are such that our sizing experts might be torn between a size 22 and a size 24 (waist 27.5″, upper hip 37″ and underbust 30″). I have a longer torso for my 5’4″ stature and just enough “fluff” at my waist that the 22 fits perfectly (and I have been corseting for a year). If you wear your corset under clothing with just a thin layer of fabric to protect the corset vs wearing your corset over your regular street clothes you may need to size up or down. This is why what sounded right on paper doesn’t always work in real life. I hope this video blog will help!

goldilocks video

If your corset is too big you will find that you can close it up (or nearly) without having to really cinch. Remember when your corset is brand new, it’s very stiff and has no “give” whatsoever. If you are able to nearly close completely, it will be too big inside of a week after you begin seasoning.¬† If can fully close and then some…you should contact one of our sizing experts, as you will likely want to drop two sizes. Sometimes the corset is the right size, but wrong style-which I will discuss in a different video blog.

Now if you fully unlace your corset and still have a hard time connecting the loops and pins at the front busk, your corset is probably too small. Even if you successfully get into your corset, if upon your first lacing you find you have a very large gap (this will be relative to size…so someone with a 30″ waist can expect a 6-7 inch gap to be too large, but someone with a 45″ waist should find a 8-10″ gap to be too large). Don’t try to force the corset closed because you think this should be the right size-the unsuspecting corset bones are likely to warp and now you are stuck with a corset that doesn’t fit. Notice that in the video this corset is just one size smaller than I need…but clearly it does not fit me.

Red_leather_corset_pin

CS-305 Red Leather

How will you know when your corset’s “just right”? The front busk should clasp without any stress¬† on the corset when the laces are opened up. When you lace up to where you the corset is snug, with room for fingers at the top and bottom edge, you will expect a gap of about 4-5 inches (the width of our modesty panel) at the back. A smaller gap for really small frames (size 18-22 corsets) and a larger gap of 6-7 inches for fuller figures (size 32+ corsets), and even up to 8-9″ for corset sizes over 40.

The importance of a well-fitted corset is multidimensional. First, if you plan to wear it you want it to be comfortable. The panels and boning on the corset are designed to lay at certain places on the body-so if you corset is way too small (some people don’t want to have to buy another corset once they size down…so they try and make it work until they are ready for that size) then the corset will not lay right on you. Also, bones will twist and warp (and sometimes pop right through). It’s important to remember that we sell off-the-rack corsets-which will work better for some than others. We are working on a few other styles to fit a greater variety, but from time to time we encounter someone who just cannot make one of our corsets work. Thank you for reading and we welcome your thoughts below!

23 thoughts on “Corset 101: Goldilocks and the Three Corsets

1. Torrie

Hello Cheri ,

I purchased a CS-305 and I’ve been training for about two weeks. At first , I was able to cinch my waist greatly but now I find I’m very limited. I can pull the strings with minimal effort and close the back of my corset. I’ve done everything I possibly could to prevent myself from damaging my item and I ordered the correct size. I don’t know what could be wrong and I believe it is way too early on to buy another corset . Can I please get some insight as to what I could be doing wrong .

Thanks in advance .

2. Wanda

HI Cheri,
    Thanks for your sizing tips, but after receiving my 411 corset (it’s so pretty) and watching your “Goldilocks” video, I think it might be too small. After lacing pretty gently (first time wear), I still have about 3 inches from the modesty panel as you demonstrated in the video. Do you think I should size up to a 24″? I’m at about a 29″ waist right now (due to pigging out between the time when I first contacted you and when I got my corset, no doubt!), so perhaps I should size up for my first corset? As always, thanks for the great customer service.

3. perla

If I’m a size my 40 41 on the top of my belly and I get a size 34 is that to small my Small part on waist is 35

Hi Perla,

I would need all of your measurements. I do not think the 34 will be too small…my concern is that it may be too big at the top edge at least of your corset.

4. Dineisha Milsap

I luv my corset 426, but I am not sure if it is fitting correctly. I have seasoned it (at least I think I have) and there is still space at the bottom. Does it need to be tighter or is it the wrong size.

5. Kari

Thanks, Cheri! I’m a newbie. I’m an hourglass, but at age 66, some of the sands of time have got stuck in the middle. ;-( I stumbled upon a post from one of your former newbies, that recommended OC as a great first resource for beginners. But, how to get started? So many pretties! Which ones to order? It all seemed so complex!

So, for a week, or so, I pigged out on your many excellent blog posts and vids. SUCH a wealth of information! You answered all of my questions. Every time I came up with a puzzlement, I Googled, and there you were, with printed words or a YouTube demonstration!

I found that I was soon well enough informed to buy four corsets– two 411s, one 426, and that cute little sailor piece that was too sassy to pass up. All are perfect for me! Had I shopped without your tutelage, I’m sure I would have made disasterous choices.

So, with your wonderful “corset courses,” OC quality, OC pricing (How do you make a profit?) and OC warp-speed delivery, I’m pretty sure I’m a customer for life. You’uns pretty much DEFINE excellent customer service. Best of all, you all look like you LOVE what you do!

Thanks, again! Kari from San Diego

1. bbstone

What Kari from San Diego said. You guys are great! And I have not experienced such commitment to customer service in a … well never! I’ve turned my mother on to you as well. You’ve got a customer for life.

6. Pamela

I am a 46″ waist as well and I got the 38″ (On the advice of Danielle) and love it so far as I’ve been seasoning it I have a big gap too, cotton (CS-411) and I really was afraid that when I put it on the first time it would not fit, but I let the laces out all the way it and fit me fine once I was brave enough to calm down, and just do it. I was too anxious the first time and afraid of hurting the corset. I definitely want take time in seasoning the corset. Thank you so much for offering such great quality corsets for us to enjoy.

7. Lorraine M

Great info. For plus sizes I would say that if you get the corset and you can’t put it on even with the laces open all the way out, it’s probably not too small but the laces are too short. I have a 46 inch waist and the size 36 is definitely my right size. I started out with a huge gap for seasoning but after having it for about a month I only have a 2 inch gap. But when I got the corset I couldn’t put it on without first switching the laces for the longer ones (9 yards).If I would have gotten a 38 it would have closed after the seasoning period and that’s no good. Hopefully my experience helps others like me.