Corset 101: Corsets and Eating

Should I Remove My Corset Before I Eat?

That depends…

madeliene-pink-411Hello OC Blog Readers! Just a few quick thoughts on eating and corsets – based solely on my own experiences and thoughts shared by some of my coworkers here at Orchard Corset.

Now if you are wearing your corset more for support (or fashion) as opposed to waist training and are not looking to lose any weight-then certainly you will want to remove your corset prior to eating a meal.  I think for small snacks corset removal would be unwarranted-but clearly that choice is yours to make. If you feel uncomfortable-then remove the corset.  I do not consider myself a waist trainer, but I tend to eat with my corset on at work. I eat often (small amounts) so I would be lacing and unlacing all day long.

If you, like many of our readers and customers, have committed to a serious waist training regiment than there isn’t any reason to remove your corset. You will find that you are not able to eat as much in any one sitting-sort of like an external lap band. Some women choose to loosen rather than remove their corsets, especially when eating raw veggies or other foods that cause bloating (and we wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from eating their veggies!). Your eating habits will need to change as you will be forced to eat more frequently and smaller portion sizes. Sarah Chrisman writes in her book “Victorian Secrets” that she learned to eat better while corseted, not fill up on worthless calories.

For most of us, the smaller more frequent meals will provide all the nourishment you need and is a better way to eat. We have customers ask us all the time if corsets burn fat or help you loose weight. The is answer is NO! But if you choose to stay properly corseted throughout the day-you are likely to lose some weight as the corset will limit your food intake.

It’s important to always put your health first. If you find that perhaps you are not drinking enough water or getting enough calories (many women who waist train are not looking to lose weight-just reshaping), then by all means take that puppy off and eat, drink and be merry! It takes time and patience to develop a level of waist training where you are comfortable corseting all day long. Don’t rush into anything until you are sure of how you will react physically and emotionally.

We would love to hear your thoughts. What foods work well as well as what to avoid. Any tips or advice to our newcomers from seasoned pros is always welcome!

23 thoughts on “Corset 101: Corsets and Eating

1. Wendy

Since I don’t want to lose weight, at first I removed my corset every time I ate, but I’ve found I can eat my usual meals and quantities while corseted with no difficulty, so now I wear my corset whenever I want.

2. Pingback: The Corset Diet: Fact or Fiction | Orchard Corset Blog

3. Ukky

I have to be very careful to not overeat when wearing it. Then my tummy hurts really bad.

It helped me to lose weight the first time; but I stopped wearing them and gained quite a bit back. Now i’m going to try losing weight all over again by wearing my corset and eating less food. It really helps keep you from feeling hungry!

4. jeannette

If you have a straight shape can waist training restructure your shape to be more curvy and hour glass shape for ex 42 inch waist and 44 inch hip like no shape

5. Sheena Martin

Check out apps like My Fitness Pal.
    It helps you track your nutrition, not just calories. And it warns you if you dont eat enough.

Im trying to lose enough to fit in my bridal corset. Helps the back and makes the girls look AWESOME!

6. bella muerta

my 411 was shipped today and, oddly enough, i was just thinking about the eating issue. you must have been reading my mind – so glad this was posted!

7. Kabocha

When I’m in a corset, I notice that I get full much quicker and have none of the bloating or aching that I sometimes get when I eat without a corset. Also, taking the corset off or even loosening it for meals seems like too much work for me.
    I feel like this is because the corset doesn’t allow room for the stomach to get any bigger in order to accommodate more food. Once the stomach is full, at its normal size, it sends the “I’m full” signal to your brain. Normally, I think there’s a lag between our stomach actually reaching its full point and our brain receiving that “I’m full” signal. A lot can be devoured during that lag, especially if it’s delicious (my bane!).
    Personally, I have a lot of intestinal problems so wearing a corset while eating is wonderful for me and has helped me trim a few pounds off just by a different eating schedule. But, oh, there are those times when you really want to get down to business with a fork or spoon!

8. Hilda VonHeels

After corset ing for a solid 25 years I find the only bloating issue I have, is when eating bread or anything with WHEAT.

Eat small every two hours stay away from sugar,’wheat, sweat stuff. If you feel full
    Drink water and wait.

Let your corset out for sleep but don’t take it off, take off for one hour a day for bath and cleaning or changing corset. Always have three to five corsets to swap out, keep them clean by wiping them down with damp cloth. Hang them to dry!!

Try and wear corset liners all the time it’s good for you by stoping chaffing. Use good skin moisturizer.

Happy wearing

9. salenab

i typically “drink” my calories when wearing a corset. water, smoothies, etc. there’s also these little packet things for kids that are like pure’d organic fruit/veggies in a pouch that are really good and make for a healthy corset-snack.

10. Shamina

I have noticed a major decrease in my food intake. I think my portions are half what they were before I began waist training. I don’t have any problem with soda though, I kinda wish I did. I try to stick to ginger ale and avoid colas lol.

11. Chanice Owens

I find it best to avoid carbonated drinks for sure! And to be very careful when drinking alcohol while laced. If you drink then when you take the corset off you’ll get a rush and become drunk all over again. But I also find that my portion control doesn’t seem to affected if I don’t want it to be. I sometimes feel like I eat more when I’m corseted!

1. Shamina

Thank you for the warning about the alcohol! I don’t drink often and would not enjoy getting “drunk all over again”, after feeling okay.