Corset 101: Waist Training Tips Using Off-the-Rack Corsets

Waist Training is a Journey:

Patience and Diligence Required

Double Steel Boned Corset CS-426Hello OC Blog Readers! Waist training using steel boned corsets has really taken off and is working it’s way quickly into the mainstream. While it is fantastic that so many people have discovered corsets and the many benefits associated with corsetry (back support, anxiety relief, and an hourglass shape-if that’s what you want), we have many newcomers without the knowledge needed to use their corset properly. This blog does not hit on all of the do’s and don’t’s of corseting, but I will talk about what it takes to get (at least in part) to achieve the hourglass so many women desire using OTR (off the rack) corsets as opposed to custom fit corsets.

If you are born with great curves and already have measurements like; underbust 33, waist 29, upper hip 39; then you will have no trouble finding a nice curvy corset that will fit well right out of the box and accentuate those beautiful curves. But what if your measurements are more like 30, 34, 38? For many women, especially after childbirth, the bulk of their weight is carried right at the waistline…giving the appearance of no waist. This provides a challenge when purchasing off-the-rack corsets that are not custom fit to each figure. But there is hope….

If you have patience and determination, there is a good chance we can help. One approach would be to start with a gentle curve corset like the CS-305. This corset is single-boned and therefore less rigid and is an excellent introductory corset to waist training. Your goal with this corset would be to not cinch up the top and bottom edge (as this would be easy when your weight is carried in your midsection), but to work on training your waist to cinch down so that eventually you have a more parallel lace that feels evenly snug from top to bottom.

Double Steel Boned Underbust Corset-CS-411 Gray

Natural Measurements:    UB 43″, W 46.5″, UH 51″

If you wish to jump right to the 411 or the 426 (to learn more about how these corsets differ, read this blog), a similar (perhaps more challenging) approach is recommended. If you have a smaller, leaner frame and are lacking in curve it is likely this will be too much corset to start with. However, a woman with more fluff (a higher squish-photo to the right) will be able to work with these curvier corsets as the corset will push and redistribute her weight to the outer edges of the corset while she works on training down her waist. This is especially true with the 426 as it has an exaggerated hip spring. The 411 has the same curve, but is shorter and doesn’t have the same hip pocket (a curvier double-boned 305). The key again is to not bowed boning in corsetbow the lacing bones (see photo to the left-moderate example) because the top and/or bottom edge of the corset tightens so much easier than the waist. Training your waist takes time and effort.

I get asked all the time, “How long before I see results?”. There is no one answer to that question. Every body will react differently to waist training. Many people incorporate diet and exercise into their program, which will speed up your progress. Some will wear their corsets 12-15 hours a day (after several weeks of seasoning), while others are only comfortable with 6-8 hours. Waist training is done over time….weeks, months and even years depending on your goals and level of commitment.

We welcome experiences and insights that might help other readers. Please share in the comment section below!

67 thoughts on “Corset 101: Waist Training Tips Using Off-the-Rack Corsets

1. Rose

hi! i am not sure whether to get a 411 or a 305. my ub: 31.5, w: 28, uh: 32 and my ub to uh is 10″.thank you!

2. ola

Hi! I just purchased a corset nd it doesnt close 2 d modesty panel nd it bends exactly lyk d picture above. Does it mean its too small

3. Kayleigh Kelly

Hi,
    I’m not sure what corset to get as I have a boyish figure and would like to get more of a shape
    My measurements are
    Waist: 30 1/2
    Under bust: 31
    Upper hip: 32

4. Liz

Just a yay moment to share. It might not be much to some but it’s a buzz for me… When I received my 301I could not get it shut to the modesty panel, there was a couple of inches gap after lacing. I contemplated returning, but decided against it as I was in NZ and I thought with a bit of time and waist training I would get there… My modesty panel at the back now laces down to just past the edge of my corset.

5. Jan

Hello. Im inquiring about the reduction ratio and possible fit of a long line 426 on my thick, curvy body. I’m in love with the black leather 426 underbust style.

I’m only 5’3, but have had no trouble with the daily wearing my current longline underbust from timeless trends (13″ busk, size 34). In fact, I kinda wish it was longer, expecially below the waist (to better conceal my pendulous bely flap).

My measurements:
    37″ underbust, 38″ natural waist, 47″ hips.

I’m looking fo dramatic reduction in the waist (6+ inches) and I’m thinking that its time to move on to a size 32 as my current 34 is almost laced closed… Also, the cut of my 34 dosent look as curvy as your 426…

I Hope the 426 will give me a good waist reduction, ride low enough on my belly and be curvy enough for my wide hips?

Hi Jan,

With those measurements I think I would drop you to a size 30 in the 426. You may find you get a little bit of an A shape to your laces as you have an ample hip spring (we are working on the longline level 4 corset we hope to have in production before the end of the year).

6. cat

Hi im not sure which corset to get.I have a boyish figure and want to get a more hourglass figure. My measurements are.
    UB: 29″
    W:26″
    UH:32″ 1/2
    Torso length: 10″

7. Perscilla

Hi my name is Perscilla I’m looking to waist train my measurements are 34, 27, 37 1/2 my goal is to get the hour glass shape as I do have curves just not there lol. I’m 5’2 115lbs which would you recommend for me? I don’t want to lose my hip curve just shape my hourglass curvature :)

Hi Perscilla,

What I need are your underbust (not your full bust) and upper hip (not your full hip). I can say with confidence that you will probably need a size 22-just need those other measurements to help select which style.

8. CandyCakes

I’m considering the cs-426. Here are my measurements. Which corsets and size do you think will work for me?
    UB:34″
    W:31″
    Upper Hip:41″
    Lower hip:43″
    Torso length:13″

9. stephanie

Hi Cheri,
    I am new to waist training and need help finding a corset right for me. My measurments are:
    Under bust: 41
    Waist: 40
    Upper hip: 44
    Height: 5’3
    Weight: 195

Hi Stephanie,

I think a size 32 will work well for you in almost any style except a cs-305. You will need the length for the 426 if you opt for that corset.

1. Stephanie

Thank you Cheri! I measured and it would fit me just as it fit you. Any longer and it would stab my thighs when I sit.

10. Tiffany

I notice you said to not bow the lacing bones if trying to waist train. How do you suggest tying the laces after I have tightened my corset to my waist? Should i wrap them around the front and tie?

Hi Tiffany,

The lace bowing if too extreme (and done before the corset is seasoned) can permanently warp your boning. Of course sometimes this is unavoidable in an off-the-rack corset if there isn’t one available that closely mirrors your shape. You can tuck your laces up into your corset or order shorter laces from out site if they are way too long.

1. Tiffany

Thank you for getting back to me. I just have one more question…how can I tell if the boning is warped? When I lace my corset, it seems like the bottom and top are much closer together while the mid-section has a more space. I have the cs-411

11. Adrienne

I’m curious what type of corset I would need and where to look for one that is my size. I would like to try and correct diastasis recti from have kids. Also my back curves in to much (lordosis) so I would like to try and straighten that out if possible. I would like an hour glass shape! My measurements are:

height – 5’6
    weight – 175lbs
    full bust – 37in
    underbust -34in
    waist -33in
    top of hip -38in
    full hip – 43in

Thank you!

12. Lydia

I just purchased cs-426 satin corset size 18.
    My Height: 5 3″
    Weight: 125 lbs
    UnderBust: 25″
    Waist: 23″
    Under hip: 34″
    Longline Torso: 8″

I feel my corset is too long for me to wear with my jeans is that a problem or should I wear it over my jeans?

I would guess that the 426 is too long for you torso (can you sit comfortably in it?) Unfortunately modern clothing and corsets don’t always mix well. Skirts, dress and leggings definitely work better than jeans. You can wear your corset over your jeans, just be careful that you aren’t rubbing the back boning channels against the jeans as it can wear through. Perhaps a shorter corset to wear while in jeans to add to your corset wardrobe-like the CS-301.

13. Victoria

Hi Cheri:

I need help sizing for a corset. I mainly want to train to a smaller waist and help my posture. My rib cage also stick out a lot and is a bit wide.

Height 5’1
    Weight 109lbs
    Bust 34
    Waist 26.5
    Hips 35

Victoria

Hi Victoria,

I will need your underbust and upper hip measurements to determine which corset will be best for you. Probably a CS-301 in a size 20 or the 305 in a 22.

14. Kaysey

I’m curious what type of corset I would need and where to look for one that is my size. I’m really wanting to control that lower belly baby pudge as well as support my stomach muscles and define my waist. I’d love to reduce several inches as well, my measurements are as follows…

height – 5’10
    weight – 260lbs
    full bust – 50in
    underbust -43in
    waist -42in
    top of hip -47in
    full hip – 48.5in

Thank you!

Hi Kaysey,

I am not sure a corset will help with lower belly bulge (look into some of our compression shapewear for that). As for waist training/reduction, I think a size 34 in the CS-426 will work for you (it looks like you have the length for that style).

15. Vanessa

Hi Cheri,

I’m stuck between sizes and hoping you can help out. I recently lost about 40 lbs and am aiming for my last 15 so I don’t want the corsette to fit to big and not do anything.

I’m 5’2

Weight – 157
    Waist – 31
    Bust – 34
    Hips – 38-40

16. demi

Hi cheri, im new at this, i want to know what type of corset should i get for waist training. I want to get a curvier look, plus to help with that lower pooch as well.
    Im 5’1
    125 lbs
    UB: 30
    W:27
    UH: 34.5

Thank you.

Hi Demi,

I think a size 22 in either the 305 or the 301 will work well for you. If you have a really short torso, the 301 will work best.

17. Courtney S

Hello Cheri! I am new to waist training and I have no idea hat type of corset I get. Would a waist cincher or a corset work best? I am trying to get an hourglass figure. would I need to get a smaller size? For instance, if I am a 32, I would need a 28 or something?

113 pounds
    5’6
    waist- 25′
    bust-32
    hips-34
    thank you for responding!

18. Jason T.

Hello Cheri I am looking to get a corset and need to know what do you think would work best for me. I would also like to get a corset to help with my bad back & back pain everyday.

5″7
    Bust 40
    Waist 38
    Hips 42
    180 lbs

19. terykas

Hello Cherri I am looking to get a corset and need to know what do you think would work best for me.

5″4
    Under bust 36
    Waist 38
    Upper hips 47 1/2
    230 lbs

I want something to help with that lower belly

Thanks

20. Becky

Hi I’ve recently started waist training and I have 2 questions ….
    Should waist training cause any soreness or tenderness on the ribs or hip bone?
    And
    Is it ok to do normal activities while wearing a corset ? (Sitting,bending, driving, etc)
    I wear the CS-411

Hi Becky,

In the ribs sometimes (why seasoning is so important). I haven’t at the hip bones, but my corset sits above them. Normal activities yes. Again, until the corset is seasoned and your body has accustomed, you should only be wearing your corset a couple of hours at a time.

21. Pingback: Corset 101: Firm vs Squishy | Orchard Corset Blog

22. carrisma

im trying to get my wast smaller so my butt looks wider, im alreay a 30′ in my waist and a 36′ in my butt i also have that dreadful lower pouch,is there a corset that can help that go away as well as slimming my waist line?

23. Sherri

I have four questions. 1) What should I do with the extra lacing after cinching to hide it best under my clothing? Right now I run the bow down the center back to the bottom edge and tuck the remainder under the edge along to the front, but sometimes the extra lacings at the hip cut into my skin. The bow and laces cause a bulge at the back waist. 2) How do I manage “backfat” that occurs when I lace. Apparently, my extra goo gets squished up and causes overflow of flesh and almost what I would call a cleavage between my shoulder blades. 3) The knot that comes pre-tied to join the edge of the lace into one big loop many times digs into my skin at the butt. The modesty panel isn’t quite long enough to cover this problem. Do you ever recommend re-lacing my corset so this knot is positioned at the waist loops instead of this bottom edge to prevent this? 4)How can I best control the modesty panel while I am lacing down so it remains level and flat?

I love your product and look forward to the new cotton corset coming in colors. I will surely buy several of these!

Hi Sheri,

I find the satin laces less bulky and easier to hide than the laces our corsets come with. Check out this video blog to help with that http://orchardcorsetblog.com/2013/10/11/video-blog-choosing-the-correct-length-for-your-corset-laces/. I assume you are wearing the 411 or the 305 (as the 426 rarely has back fat issues as it rides up over the bra line). I struggle with that also and I run lean! You can try not cinching the very top edge as much on your corset or use shapewear. I recently brought in a Vedette bra booster that helps smooth back fat http://www.orchardcorset.com/shapewear/vedette-941-underbust-bra-booster/ . You are certainly able to relace your corset and place that knot wherever you see fit :). If I am trying to hide laces, I use satin (shorter…like barely 5 yards in my size 22 411) and tuck in the top of the corset. As for the modesty, that just takes practice. I tuck and smooth mine as I lace constantly.

24. Emily

The colour of the cs-305 in Burgundy Wine is stunning!

I have a question; I’m looking for an underbust corset but I’m not sure which one to go for. My measurements are 40 inch underbust, 37 inch waist and 46 inch upper hip. I was thinking about going for the CS-426 (my torso is quite long) but I’ve worked out that I would only be able to get a 1 inch reduction because only the 36 would fit my hips and bust. I’m very confused as to which one to get!
    Maybe I’m just having a blonde moment, but would any of the corsets fit me?

1. Leia Tilton

Ok, granted I do not work for OC, but both you and I have almost the same waist to hip ratio, yours is 9″ & mine is 10″. I measure at ub 30″, w 29″ & h 39″ so maybe I can help?
      I originally purchased the 24″ CS-426 corset (keep in mind I have been corseting almost 24/7 for just over a year) and was able to close it the first day. Needless to say I exchanged it for the 22″ of the same model and it fits quite well, surprisingly well for an OTR corset! So here I am with 29″ waist and 39″ to 40″ hip wearing a 22″ corset every day very comfortably.
      I hope that helps! Good luck and enjoy your corseting!!! Personally, I LOVE it!
      Leia
      ;-)

Hi Emily,

If you size down to a 30 in the 426, you won’t ever close the bottom of the corset, but the laces should not be too terribly “A” shaped. You will get some reduction in the hip if you have any fluff on your hip.

1. Leia Tilton

Make sure you are wearing a soft, slinky fabric for a corset liner, mine looks like a tube top. Also make sure that every time you take your corset off, apply a good lotion. I have tried several but have found that a handful coconut oil with 1 or 2 drops of peppermint oil do great without leaving a nasty residue on your skin and liner.
      Also, if the corset is sliding around, had some kind of construction error or just does not fit, you will get nasty burns and rashes and there is nothing you can do but get a better fitting corset.
      I have been corseting almost 24/7 for over a year and have encountered each of these issues in the journey to finding a good fit that gives me the support and shape I desire.
      Good luck!!
      Also, OC has a great relationship with Lucy from Lucy’s Corsetry who gives many tips on skin care and corset fittings that you may find helpful in addition to OC’s blogs.
      Enjoy your corseting!!!!
      Leia ;-)

25. Judy D

Hello! I am confused about which corset sihouette would be best for me if like looking for an reduction of about 5-6 inches. I have 28 inches under bust 27 inch waist and 42 hips so I have a pear shape. I would like to accentuate my waist and make it smaller. I have a steel boned corset and I’m able to lace really tightly. I’m also 5’9 170 lbs. I knows there’s conical, hour glass , wasp … Which one is best suited for me.

Hi Judy,

It sounds like you might want the CS-426 (assuming you have the torso length for that-this blog will help with that http://orchardcorsetblog.com/2013/10/04/video-blog-can-i-wear-a-cs-426-steel-boned-corset/) in a size 22. Your very small underbust measurement will be the only place where I see potential for the corset to not fit right. It that is your full hip and not your upper hip, you may even eventually size down to a 20.

1. Judy D

Thanks for answering my question… The best length for me is 12 inches in the front and back and 10 inches on the side. Does the cs 426 accommodate that? Is there a section that describes the differences between the model numbers? Which model number is the curviest.